How to Blind Bake Pie Crust
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Learn how to blind bake pie crust. Use this classic flaky butter pastry recipe to make perfect pre-baked pie crust. No more soggy bottom crust ever again!
Making homemade crusts seems to be the thing that makes people cringe, but this recipe will have you making crusts with confidence and ease. It is simply the best!
How to blind bake homemade pie crust?
- Prepare crust- Using the recipe of your choice.
- Chill dough– Spread it onto a pie dish.
- Cut off excess dough along the edges– Crimp them.
- Chill again- In the fridge.
- Remove from fridge– Place parchment paper in the bottom of the crust.
- Add weights- I used dry lentils.
- Place the dish on a cookie tray– Transfer to oven and bake.
- Remove from oven– Remove the parchment paper with the weights.
- “Dock” crust- With a fork.
- Transfer to oven– Bake again.
- Remove from oven– Let it cool completely.
- Enjoy- Add a thick filling of your choice.
What is blind baking? Why should you blind bake?
This involves baking the crust completely without a filling and when it cools down, a no bake filling is added. A pie crust needs to be blind baked in order to be fully done/ fully baked before you fill it.
Partially baked pie crust vs. pre-baked pie crust?
The difference here is in the length of time the crust is baked. A partially baked pie crust would be used for apple pie, for example, where you need the crust baked partially before being filled and then it will be continued baking until it’s fully done. However, a pre-baked pie crust would be used for a no-bake pie where you want the crust fully cooked before you fill it so that it isn’t raw when you eat it. This process is also known as “Pre-Baking Pie Crust.”
Can I blind bake a pie crust without weights?
I do not recommend it! You need the weights to keep the bottom of the crust from puffing up, and prevent the sides from slipping down.
What can I use for pie weights (baking weights)?
You can use a variety of things such as:
- Store-bought ceramic pie weights
Whatever you choose, you must first line the crust with parchment paper and then place the weights on it. This prevents the weights from sticking into the dough.
Weights like rice, pasta, lentils, beans, chickpeas need to be uncooked and also cannot be used in cooking, once they are used in this process. Store them in a jar and keep them in your pantry and use them as weights any time you like.
What happens if you don’t use pie weights?
The bottom of the crust will puff up, and the edges of the crust may slide down.
Can I use rocks as pie weights?
I don’t recommend this because they are not clean and sanitized like some of the alternatives discussed above.
How do you blind bake a store bought pie crust (premade pie crust)?
It’s the. exact same way. Just make sure to watch it closely because they tend to cook faster, and you don’t want a burnt crust.
Can you use rice to blind bake a pie crust?
Yes, as long as it is uncooked rice!
What kind of beans do you use for pie weights?
It doesn’t matter what type of beans as long as they are dried beans.
How do you “dock” pastry? Should you poke holes in the bottom of pie crust?
Docking pastry simply means to poke holes in the bottom of the crust, typically with a fork. Poking holes in the bottom of the crust allows steam to escape during baking, which ultimately prevents the crust from becoming soggy.
How do I keep my bottom pie crust from getting soggy? How do I make my bottom pie crust crispy?
Blind baking the crust will help prevent the crust from being soggy, and produce a crispy crust instead.
Should you pre-bake pie crust?
Yes, you should at least partially bake a homemade pie crust so that it has enough time to cook, and is not soggy. If you are making a no-bake pie, then fully pre-bake the crust before filling it.
Can you blind bake a pie crust the day before?
Yes, you can blind bake up to 2 days ahead of time. Allow it to cook completely, and then let it cool completely. Then, tightly wrap it in saran wrap at room temperature, till you are ready to use it.
What temperature should I blind bake pastry? How long does it take?
Bake the crust at 425 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until edges are starting to brown. It should NOT be completely brown.
How do I know when my pie crust is done?
It’s done when the edges are starting to brown and the center is no longer raw.
Do you always need to blind bake pastry?
No not always, but you do need to blind bake the crust for no-bake pie fillings, and for any pie whose filling does not need to bake as long as the crust.
Can I use pastry puff instead of pie crust?
No, puff pastry dough is very different than pie dough.
How to prevent pie crust from shrinking?
The key to this is a thick crust and to use pie weights!
How to Blind Bake Pie Crust
- 1 batch Flaky butter pie crust
- Prepare crust as per the recipe instructions above.
- After the chilling time is over, spread the dough onto a 9 inch pie dish.
- Cut off excess dough along the edges and crimp them.
- Chill in the fridge again for 30 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and place parchment paper in the bottom of the crust.
- Fill it with weights such as dry/ uncooked beans, rice or lentils.
- Place the pie dish on a cookie tray.
- Transfer to oven and bake at 425 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until edges are starting to brown. It should NOT be completely brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Gently, remove the parchment paper with the weights.
- Use a fork to "dock crust" or make tiny holes all over the bottom of the crust.
- Transfer to oven again and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes or until crust is browned, flaky and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let this fully baked pie crust crust cool completely.
- Then, add a thick filling of your choice and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Please NOTE that all ovens are slightly different and baking times may vary. Also these instructions work best with my butter pie crust recipe, that’s been linked above. If you use a different recipe, your results might be different too.
- Store-bought crusts brown much faster. If you are blind baking that, keep a close eye on it.