Easy Orange Cake
This soft, moist, easy orange cake recipe from scratch is loaded with with cream cheese frosting, mandarin oranges, orange marmalade and lots of fresh orange zest. It's the perfect Summer dessert!
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking powder
- 2 Eggs Large
- 1/4 cup Butter Unsalted, Melted
- 2 cups Granulated sugar
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Orange extract
- 2 tbsp Orange zest
- 3 cups Cream cheese frosting
- 1 cup Orange marmalade or Jam
- 1 cup Mandarin orange slices Patted dry on paper towels
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Keep aside.
In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, butter, sugar and mix until combined.
Add buttermilk, vanilla extract, orange extract, orange zest and mix until smooth.
Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix!
Pour batter into two round greased/floured cake pans (Dimensions: 8x2).
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Allow the cakes to cool down completely. Then, cut the dome on top of the cake and the stiff sides.
Place one cake on a cake stand. Spread a thin layer of marmalade. Then, spread a thick layer of cream cheese frosting. Add some mandarin orange slices if you like.
Place the other cake on top of the frosting. Spread another thin layer of marmalade and another thick layer of cream cheese frosting. Top it off more mandarin orange slices. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- To make orange cranberry cake, stir ⅓ cup dried cranberries into the batter. To make chocolate orange cake, stir ⅓ cup chocolate chips into the batter. Make sure to toss them in some flour to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Calories: 909kcal | Carbohydrates: 167g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 325mg | Potassium: 216mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 139g | Vitamin A: 275IU | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 1.8mg