Hey guys! I am Abeer, a 20-something gal living in Chicago with my wonderful husband and beautiful baby boy though I am originally from Canada. That means I proudly use " eh" in my conversations... lol
I am sure by browsing through my blog, you have realized that I have a sweet tooth...hehe. I LOVE Sweets! Baking them. Eating them. And especially decorating them!
In 2010, I enrolled in the basic cake decorating course from Wilton just for fun. Little did I know this would give birth to a NEW hobby! I was instantly HOOKED! And pretty soon, I was decorating anything and everything from cakes to cupcakes to cookies. I just couldn't stop...
I started off like any other novice cake decorator, making lopsided cakes, covered in crumbs and bumpy fondant torn along the back. lol.
If you don't believe me, check out this post where I share some of my disastrous cakes... YIKES!
But anyways, after spending countless hours reading cake decorating books and practicing, I have overcome many hurdles and my cakes no longer look like a 2-year old made them...haha.
Needless to say, it's been a challenging journey with lots of ups and downs and I learn something new everyday.
My parents taught me that practice makes perfect and I now agree with that piece of wisdom whole-heartedly. After all, parents know best....right?
I started this blog because I wanted to share my triumphs and failures in the vast world of sugar decorations. I also wanted a place to share all the decorating tips and tricks I was picking up along the way and obviously, I wanted to share many of my favorite recipes!
BUT most importantly, I hope what I do here inspires you to make pretty treats for your loved ones
Occasionally, you will see recipes from my lovely PARENTS here as well!
My mom (Saira) likes to bake. She ADORES making Middle eastern and Pakistani/Indian desserts but that doesn’t mean she can’t make cakes and cookies. Oh yes folks…she can make those just as well ;)
She is also one of the most CREATIVE people I know. She is a pro at sewing, knitting, pottery, glass painting, fabric painting and the list can go on and on.
My Dad (Inayet) CAN’T bake to save himself BUT he enjoys taking photographs and eating everything my mom makes…LOL!
He loves traveling and hanging out with family and friends. All that traveling gave him the chance to try out various desserts from different countries. But now…he’s taking it easy and that has allowed him to delve into other things he enjoys such as photography.
I think he’s a “natural” coz I swear to god my first few photographs were nowhere as good as his! Hehehe.
Aren’t they just adorable?!
Now, just for fun, here are some random tid bits about us (I know you wanna know more about this "cake & dessert obsessed family" ;)
- I giggle every time my baby boy tries to put his whole hand in his mouth...lol. it just never gets old!
- My wedding anniversary is on Halloween. I know it's crazy but I wouldn't have it any other way
- My favorite color is blue, which explains why half my wardrobe is packed with all shades of blue and polka dots! I LOVE polka dots too.
- I have a Masters in Cellular biology /Botany. I bet ya didn't see this one coming. Most people think my background is in something art-related but I am the most non-artistic person you will ever meet! I can't even draw a stick person properly...hahah
- I think Pepsi tastes much better than Coca Cola (And no! I don't care what anyone says but they don't taste the same! lol.
- I hate mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard... Can't stand their smell or taste. So, yes... I eat my burgers with only lettuce
- I am a "choco-holic" but I get nauseous whenever I eat dark chocolate
- I like spicy food and I mean REALLY spicy! Trust me... I can handle the heat!
- Tim hortons is the best! Dunkin donuts just doesn't do it for me...lol. Yes! I am a Canadian at heart
- My parents have been married for 29 years and they are more “in love” now than they were 29 years ago
- Both my parents have completely OPPOSITE personalities yet they get along so well. I guess it’s true what they say: “Opposites attract”
- My Dad’s a pharmacist and worked for many healthcare companies over the years.
- My Mommy has a Bachelors in Physics/Statistics but she stayed at home to look after me and my siblings. Recently, she went back to school to get a diploma in Early Childhood Education. We are all so proud of her
- My Dad refuses to walk on the beach. Don’t ask… he hates getting his feet wet and finds sea water dirty…lol
- My Dad likes to collect pens in different shapes and sizes. Some of them are pretty cool!
- My dear Mommy is petrified of dogs! If a dog comes close to her, she starts freaking out and gets ready to make a run for it ...lol
- Just like me, both of my parents have a massive sweet tooth.
Well, I hope you had fun "stalking us." *Cough cough* ... I mean getting to know us better
We are always here to help. If you ever want to get in touch, feel free to leave a comment in any of our posts OR email us at email@example.com OR contact us using the form here.
You can also stay in touch with us by following us on:
Sending you lotsa love from our kitchen,
Abeer and her Mommy and Daddy
UPDATE: We have a new contributor to the site, Farwa. She will be working on monetizing the blog, promoting the blog, responding to emails and comments and keeping everything organized. She will also occasionally share recipes. Stay tuned for that!